Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Direct Supply
The Sales Engineer is responsible for engineering low-voltage building technology systems that meet the needs of Direct Supply's new construction and renovation clients. The resulting engineered systems must meet the operational and financial needs of the client and generate maximum revenue and margin for Direct Supply while ensuring an excellent client experience. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated knowledge of low-voltage technology, a zeal for learning, and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
Senior Director, Program Development
Essential Job Functions and Leadership Responsibilities:
The Sales Engineer is responsible for engineering technology systems, including generating bills of material, scopes of work, and consulting with clients to ensure optimal designs.
- Scope of Technology Systems
- Engineer comprehensive low-voltage technology systems, create budgetary quotes using available tools, consult with customers to recommend designs, and execute on-time deliverables to maximize potential Direct Supply revenue and margin on new construction (25%) and capital (75%) projects.
- Demonstrate experience and expertise of below systems:
- Emergency Call (Hardwired & wireless)
- Wander Management
- Access control
- Wireless locks
- Surveillance (i.e. Video Security)
- Audio / Visual
- Ideally demonstrate working knowledge of below systems:
- Area of Refuge
- Structured cabling (Includes: Data cabling, Cable TV cabling, and MDF & IDF Closet buildouts)
- Network Infrastructure (Includes: WAN (wide area network) infrastructure, LAN (local area network) infrastructure, Wireless LAN (WiFi) infrastructure, and backup power for MDF/IDF Buildout)
- Sales Engineering
- System Engineering
- Participate in consulting and programming calls with customers to develop a trusted relationship and gather additional information regarding required system functionality and project scope, budget, and timeline.
- Review Technology Design drawings and specifications and provide feedback to Technology Designers regarding system design
- Create Bill of Materials and Scope of Work for systems included for quote
- Maintain technical knowledge of our systems, including installation requirements.
- Maintain working knowledge of Senior Living trends, and how they apply to the design and integration of our product line.
- Serve as expert technical resource to our sales partners, studio team, and customer service teams.
- Conduct site visits as needed to ensure accuracy of design and quote
- Execute engineering deliverables on-time and with high degree of quality
- Participate in all training and learning sessions, including self-guided research and learning, to develop expert knowledge of systems
- Focus will be:
- 25% on new construction projects, which require a knowledge of the new construction industry and processes, ability to read blueprints, and a working knowledge of how to interact with various stakeholders and subcontractors
- 75% on replacement systems for existing buildings, which require a knowledge of how to design technologies for that setting
- Quoting Process
- Create system budgets using quoting tools
- Engineer low-voltage technology systems using quoting tools
- Work with suppliers and Product Management to ensure proper designs
- In a timely manner, use information gathered to design integrated system or systems for each project, including marked-up floor plans, bill of materials, and scope of work
- Conduct and participate in Quality Assurance Reviews for Technology Design, Sales Engineering, and Quoting
- Provide accurate and on-time design deliverables to Project Associate for creation of product quote, and installation labor quote.
- Review quotes from suppliers/installers for accuracy
- Collaborate with Sales, Technology Designer, Project Associate, and Project Manager to review and finalize client proposal.
- Process Improvements
- Participate in helping team to improve processes and enhance tools
- Be a positive force for change and helping to grow sales
- Adopt new strategies in a dynamically changing environment
- System Engineering
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Information Technology, or related field
- 4 years of experience engineering, designing, or installing, low-voltage technology or wireless solutions
- Ideally 2 years of experience in new construction field, including conducting estimations and take-offs
- Willingness to learn and apply technical and operational knowledge to the Senior Living Industry
- Ability to read blueprints and technical specifications, create scope documents, and interpret building codes
- Experience designing, selling, or managing large-scale technology implementations
- Demonstrated ability to present to customers and support design consulting conversations
- Superior organizational and time management skills with ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated success working independently and managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with construction-related professionals in both office and job-site environments, to read and create blueprints, write technical specifications and review shop drawings
- Competent in Microsoft Office and Bluebeam
- Ability to travel up to 20%
- Valid, unexpired driver's license with a good driving record
Additional Preferred Skills:
- Knowledge of Senior Living industry trends and operational practices
- Significant experience engineering structured cabling, WiFi, or other LAN/WAN infrastructure technologies
- Demonstrated proficiency in AutoCAD, Revit and/or related design software
- Registered Communications Distribution Designer (RCDD) Certification
- Professional Engineer (PE) certification
- Previous experience in related role in low-voltage space such as a field engineer, installer, electrician or Architect
- Peer Relationships
- Customer Focus
- Integrity and Trust
- Functional/Technical Skills
- Priority Setting
- Personal Learning
- Drive for Results
- Problem Solving
- Presentation Skills
- Technical Learning
- Dealing with Ambiguity