Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Machine Operator III-B29 Cartridge 2nd Shift
at Johnson Controls.
Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and multi industrial leader serving a wide range of customers in more than 150 countries. Our 117,000 employees create intelligent buildings, efficient energy solutions, integrated infrastructure and next generation transportation systems that work seamlessly together to deliver on the promise of smart cities and communities. Our commitment to sustainability dates back to our roots in 1885, with the invention of the first electric room thermostat. We are committed to helping our customers win and creating greater value for all of our stakeholders through strategic focus on our buildings and energy growth platforms. For additional information, please visit www.johnsoncontrols.com or follow us @johnsoncontrols on Twitter.
STATEMENT OF JOB
Works under the direction of the Cartridge Department Supervisor to assemble, paint, package, leak test (hydro-test with water), inspect, reclaim, prepare for refilling and fills cartridges and cylinders with either CO2 or nitrogen). Must hand stamp cartridges, operates pneumatic hand tools, power grinders and wire brushing machines, and performs minor maintenance.
ENVIRONMENTAL, HEALTH, AND SAFETY OBLIGATIONS
Comply with the following Environmental, Health and Safety duties as a condition of employment:
• Comply with safety rules
• Attend and Participate in Safety Training
• Participate actively in the safety process
• Ask questions if something isn't known
• Report all accidents and injuries immediately
• Submit suggestions to improve safety
• Know responsibilities in the event of an emergency (i.e. what to do in the event of an alarm for fire, chemical spills, tornados, etc.)
• Be a coach to others who are acting unsafely
• Must have Lock-out tags after 6 months
• Attend and participate in all hazardous and non-hazardous waste trainings.
• Ability to recognize chemical hazardous labels.
• Spill management and clean-up.
• Air shutoff locations.
• Capability to follow satellite accumulation rules and requirements.
• Proficiency to recognize hazardous wastes in your area and manage properly.
Must be 18 years of age and have a HS Diploma or equivalent. Must be able to follow written and verbal instructions. Knowledge of simple mechanics and basic math is required. Mechanical aptitude required. Primarily works with light to average weights, with some heavy lifting. Operator is on their feet for the entire shift. Must be able to tolerate working in and with various oils.
1. Processes all cartridges received from distribution by visually checking each cartridge for body damage, removing the shipping cap with a pneumatic hand drill, removing cartridge seals, and using a variety of gauges, checks plug diameter, seal depth, and thread wear. Determines if these cartridges can be reused.
2. In order to issue credit, counts and sorts all cartridges received and verify those cartridges returned with a packing slip. Checks and corrects packing list for accuracy. Verifies customer counts to determine if returned cartridges are Ansul product. If not, scrap credit is not issued.
3. Hand loads pressurized cartridges into a test tank containing heated water and places plastic caps over the cartridges. Observes each cartridge for traces of leakage, on removal from tank, separates "leakers" from cartridges going on to other operations. Raises and lowers test tank floors to adjust for different size cartridges.
4. Record (by size) the number of cartridges processed and the number of cartridges requiring the rework of scrapping. Identifies the reasons why cartridges leak in test tanks, and records the number of leakers (according to size).
5. Maintains CGA-6 certification in order to process reclaim cartridges.
6. Adds proper amounts of rust inhibitor to adjust for any deficiencies as determined by the Q.A. lab titration sheets.
7. Checks titrations and adds proper amount of sodium nitrite to leak test tanks.
8. Manually sets up filling machine.
9. Operates filling machine to fill various size cartridges with nitrogen and CO2 to correct weights.
10. Performs necessary rework on refill or reject cartridges.
11. Performs maintenance and troubleshoots machines in the department
12. Loads and operates an automatic cartridge seal assembly machine by scooping washers and bushings into machine feeder, adjusting air pressure, watching the automatic assembly process and correcting (by hand) any cartridge seals improperly assembled.
13. Able to troubleshoot seal machine in order to efficiently meet production demands for seals.
14. Operates a cartridge-stamping machine by changing fixtures to accommodate various cartridges, changing head stamps and adjusting weight stamp for each cartridge. Adjusts air pressure to insure proper stamp depth and records type of cartridge and number sequence of cartridges stamped.
15. Visually checks cartridges for pitting, thread damage, etc. Prepares cartridges for filling operation by selecting the proper cartridge seals for assembly, dipping seals into oil and starting seal into cartridge threads by hand. Uses a pneumatic wrench to tighten. Occasionally uses a wrench to remove burrs from cartridge threads. Wire brushes cartridges.
16. Weigh cartridges and insures that weight falls within the appropriate range.
17. Valve, fill, weigh, & leak test LVS 23 & 55 Cubic feet pressure vessels
18. Stamp, valve, paint, gauge, bake, fill, test, record, & pack-out Chinese Cartridge units.
19. Mixes paint by adding three different ingredients according to paint manufacturer's specifications. Checks for proper viscosity. Places paint in vibrator for proper mix.
20. Operates an automatic cartridge spray paint conveyor by loading and unloading moving conveyor, adjusting air pressure, paint flow, and visually checking painted cartridges for paint consistency and proper coverage.
21. Operates gas fire oven to bake paint onto cartridges.
22. Prepares cartridges for shipment by weighing the cartridges and applying the appropriate decals.
23. Sets up and operates heat sensitive wrapping machine for cartridges.
24. Packages cartridge in individual and master cartons. Visually checks cartridges for pitting, thread damage, etc.
25. Assists Cochran Lab & Bessie as needed and may be require certification for 5-year retest.
26. From written instructions, fills tanks with metal conditioning and plating solutions. Following written instructions from the Q.A. Inspector, makes all necessary additions to the solutions to maintain proper titration strength in the metal conditioning tanks. Periodically dumps all metal conditioning tanks.
27. Provides technical feedback to management and supports Kaizen, continuous improvement, & 5S programs.
28. Provides ideas and feedback to management and pursues improvement projects in order to meet safety, quality, delivery, & cost objectives in the Cartridge Department.
29. Performs housekeeping and other related duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
30. Able to properly perform safety training and job duty training with all employees, including Red-folder training, MSDS training, work instruction training, LOTO training, & JSA training
31. Can safely operate a forklift and is licensed as per OSHA & Johnson Control policy
32. Performs leadership tasks that ensure all Cartridge personnel work efficiently and safely while maintaining quality standards.
33. Trains and checks that Cartridge Department personnel are following company policy and safety culture. Also ensures that personnel are filling out proper forms consistently such as, C.I.L.'s, First Piece Inspections, Daily Production Sheets, Stores Cards, and Production Order paperwork. Notifies Cartridge Department Supervisor or Group Lead if coworkers refuse to complete any of items listed above.
34. Immediately shuts down unsafe processes and locks out equipment as per JCI safety policy.