Lutheran Social Services of Illinois
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Occupancy Specialist/Property Manager
at Lutheran Social Services of Illinois
The Occupancy Specialist has direct responsibility for property management functions and related day to day operations of assigned HUD projects and or assigned LSS owned or managed apartment rental programs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities as management may deem necessary.
• Serves as a representative of the agency and the properties/programs to internal and external customers. Establishes and maintains appropriate relationships with stakeholders.
• Assumes primary and direct responsibility for managing tenant and stakeholder issues and concerns related to the property, tenant relations, etc. Works independently and with supervisory staff to address concerns in a consistent and timely manner. With supervisory assistance provides enforcement of lease requirements and project rules.
• Works as a collaborative team member to support the Business Unit and Continuum of Care model.
• Successfully completes the HUD Certified Occupancy Specialist training as assigned.
• Maintains a working knowledge of HUD handbook (s) and implements requirements contained within.
• Markets and promotes the project(s) to ensure occupancy rates that meet or exceed budget.
• Implements administrative rules for occupancy of the project(s).
• Collects all payments to the project including security deposits, pet deposits, damage payments and monthly rents.
• Records all payments received and prepares an accurate electronic monthly deposit report. Ensures that the monthly deposit(s) are made in a timely fashion. Participates in credit card processing of payments following established protocols.
• Receives, reviews, and provides feedback concerning monthly project financial reports. Monitors to ensure all identified charges are accurate for the project. Ensures all collected rents and other project income is accurately reflected. Communicates any discrepancy or areas of concern to supervisory staff.
• Obtains, reviews, and submits documentation for tenant certifications, leases, etc. Has final responsibility to ensure accuracy of same.
• Matches third party verified data against EIV data; investigates and resolves discrepancies.
• Maintains a complete and accurate waiting list that is compliant with HUD regulation- as assigned.
• Ensures individual and project compliance with Fair Housing laws. Participates in annual Fair Housing training.
• Ensures compliance with administrative rules for occupancy of the projects; i.e. income limits, screening checks, and income targeting requirements.
• Ensures complete and compliant tenant files that meet LSS and HUD standards/regulations. Maintains tenant files as assigned.
• Implements LSS, HUD, and municipal expectations as related to project curb appeal and facility standards. Provides direct services to accomplish these goals; i.e. snow and ice removal, weed pulling, picking up trash, etc. Works with maintenance and supervisory staff to identify areas needing correction. Works within annual budget to meet identified need and makes budgetary recommendations for subsequent budget years.
• Provides direct building services such as vacuuming, dusting, window washing, bathroom cleaning, etc. Cleans and preps unit turnovers as assigned.
• Purchases project supplies in accordance with published agency and funder expectations. Works with supervisory staff to ensure compliance with project budget.
• Prepares for and participates in all facility compliance inspections; i.e. HUD, WHEDA, MMAM, REAC, city, state, etc.
• Conducts apartment inspections per identified program expectations.
• Has responsibility for on call/after hour’s communications regarding facility and or resident issues. Responds appropriately to all emergency calls within prescribed timelines.
• Conducts and or arranges for all required facility testing including but not limited to fire extinguisher testing, elevator testing, sprinkler system testing, smoke detector testing and battery replacement, and fire inspections.
• Completes background and credit checks as assigned.
• Ensures quality programming through the use of best practice standards and contract/licensing requirements.
• Completes all assigned training in the prescribed timeframe. Seeks additional training opportunity to enhance effectiveness in meeting expectations of the job. Coordinates participation in training opportunities with supervisory staff to ensure appropriateness of training and compliance with budget.
• Maintains MSDS book for each assigned project(s).
• Performs other duties as required/assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Upon offer, candidates must successfully complete the necessary background, caregiver, medical and any other checks required, according to program requirements. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Graduation from high school or GED equivalency is required. Previous experience in property management and or working with customers in a similar setting is preferred.
- Mileage reimbursement
- Paid Time Off
- Service Awards and Recognition
- Ability to Contribute to 403B
- Employee Assistance Program
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
• Must have a valid driver’s license and have reliable transportation to perform the essential duties of the role; a motor vehicle check (MVR) with a satisfactory driving record per the LSS Driver Safety Procedure is required, and ability to meet LSS auto insurance requirements.
• Must attend and pass the Certified Occupancy Specialist training as assigned.
TRAVEL: Position may travel daily between programs. May travel over the two state area on occasion for training and meetings and may include some overnights.
LSS is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, disability status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.