Lutheran Social Services of Illinois
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Youth Counselor- Wittenberg- Entry Level Position
at Lutheran Social Services of Illinois
Do more than a job, change a life. Provide a safe and trusting environment in leading youth residential care facility. Immediate sign on bonus with potential for additional earnings. This is a full-time, 3rd shift role, 10 PM - 8 AM or 11 PM - 9 AM, 4, 10 hour days.
At Homme Youth and Family Programs, we provide treatment and care for children and adolescents dealing with issues from severe trauma and delinquency. We provide these children with the tools they need to recover, grow and thrive independently. Through structured schedules and activities, individual, group and family therapy, spiritual care, on-campus education services and eventually reintegration to the community, our programs focus on the whole person through a trauma-informed care approach.
Who are we looking for? You are compassionate, strong and patient. You’re firm with boundaries but know when the situation demands some flexibility. A life-long student you’re willing and ready to receive on-the-job training improving you and the work you do with your teams and clients. You know how to set and stick to your boundaries, but understand the importance of seeing life through other’s perspective. You understand child development and can handle the demands of working with at-risk youth and families. You recognize, promote and most importantly model, strength-based, trauma sensitive care. You want to change lives.
As a Youth Counselor, you’d work directly with our residents, primarily males 10-15 years old, providing a safe and therapeutic environment. Through structured guidance and a trauma-informed care approach, youth counselors are positive role models offering support, encouragement and protection of the youth in our care advocating for the child and sharing information and updates to parents, referring workers, therapists and other professionals.
You’re also responsible for:
- Maintaining sight and sound supervision within established policies and procedures
- Recording observations and maintaining records and reports, daily documentation and logs
- Monitoring access to and ensuring personal hygiene of clients
- Transporting and escorting clients between facilities, meetings, appointments and/or other activities
- Ensuring living spaces are organized, safe and free of contraband
- Preparing meals and/or supervise clients during meal times
- Providing information to parents, referring workers, therapists and other professionals concerning status of clients, within established guidelines
Working for Lutheran Social Services of Wisconsin and Upper Michigan includes:
- Medical/dental/vision insurance
- Flex spending for dependent and health care
- Paid time off
- Ten paid holidays
- Low cost on-site, dorm-style housing for staff
- Mileage reimbursement
- Paid training in trauma informed care, evidence-based practices, and facilitating psycho-educational groups
- Ability to contribute to 403B
- Employee assistance program
- Service awards and recognition
You’ve got education and experience including:
- High School Diploma or GED equivalency is required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Services, which includes Social Work, Psychology or Sociology, Law Enforcement or a closely related field preferred.
Preferably, you also have:
- A minimum of one (1) year of work experience in the field of Human Services
- Crisis management experience
- Prior Mandt and CPI experience
- You must have either successfully completed or be able to successfully complete the Mandt and CPI trainings within 90 days of being hired, transferred or promoted into the role.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Must have a valid Driver’s License and car – Motor vehicle check (MVR) with a satisfactory driving record required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The job allows the employee to vary physical position or activity for comfort and may be required to stand and /or walk for 8 hours or longer. While performing the duties of this job, the worker is frequently (i.e. 34% to 66% of the time) required to bend/stoop, grasp, handle objects, fine manipulation, fingering and lift up to 10 lbs. In addition the worker is occasionally (1% to 33% of the time) required to lift 11 to 25 lbs, Climb, Kneel, Crouch, Twist, Reach above shoulder height and below. The worker is rarely (less than 1% of the time) required to lift clients or objects (between 26 lbs to 75 lbs) or push/pull up to 50lbs.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must respond appropriately in times of crisis that may include verbal and physical aggression from the clients served. The employee must recognize and take appropriate action if signs of abuse or neglect are present. The employee must understand and be able to evaluate the potential need for non-emergency medical attention as well as potential medical and/or behavioral emergency.
The employee of this position works in a community–like atmosphere and will be exposed to outdoor weather conditions during work hours.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
TRAVEL: Ability to travel on day trips as required up to 25%. Some overnight travel may be required.
LSS is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, disability status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.