Village of Weston
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Public Works Maintainer/Operator
at Village of Weston
- Career Description
- The Public Works Maintainer/Operator performs a variety of semi-skilled to skilled tasks utilizing hand tools and operates a wide variety of small and heavy equipment for the construction and maintenance of Village property and infrastructure including parks, right-of-ways, Aquatic Center, buildings, equipment and other village property.
Work is discussed daily with the Director of Parks or Public Works Foremen. Employees are expected to perform routine tasks with minor supervision. The Director of Parks or Public Works Foremen provide direction and oversight on special projects and work assignments. There is frequent interaction with the general public and other Village departments. The Director of Parks or Public Works, or designee, reviews and evaluates job performance.
- The general duties and responsibilities of the position are to perform routine daily operation and maintenance activities for the village's streets, parks and drainage infrastructure and to respond to emergency needs as required. The following is a description of some of the specific duties and responsibilities for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive as other duties may be required and assigned:
Streets and Drainage
- Maintains and operates the Aquatic Center. Understand and operate the mechanical and chemical systems of the pool. Perform pool building and equipment repairs.
- Perform maintenance duties such as electrical, plumbing, masonry and carpentry work
- Perform custodial work including cleaning shelters, restrooms, collecting and disposing of refuse, shoveling snow and similar tasks.
- Maintain grass areas in all parks, right-of-ways, and other public places, including mowing, trimming, fertilizing, watering and weed control, utilizing all types of mowing and trimming equipment.
- Understand the basics of traffic control requirements.
- Understand and be able to perform maintenance and repairs to irrigation systems.
- Maintain ball fields and other outdoor play areas.
- Able to work independently on routine tasks.
- Flood, spray, plow and sweep ice rinks.
- Conduct maintenance of park shelter buildings, refuse containers, picnic tables, benches, play equipment, fencing and parking areas.
- Brushing, trimming, planting and care of trees and shrubs.
- Performs all duties in conformance with Village policies as described in the employee handbook and adherence to state and federal safety policies and standards.
- Required to work weekend or evening hours if directed.
- Foster a productive and collaborative work environment by coordinating work efforts with other Village departments and employees.
- Perform routine daily operation and maintenance activities for the village's parks, landscaping and respond to emergency needs as required.
- Performs manual labor i.e. hand shoveling of snow, sand, asphalt, granite and other materials on an occasional basis as well as raking and sweeping.
- Learn and become proficient in Village procedures for all types of work performed (e.g. asphalt patching and paving, concrete pavement and curb and gutter repairs, snow plowing and removal, yard waste handling, shouldering, ditching, storm sewer maintenance and repairs, etc.).
- Routine servicing and light maintenance of equipment.
- Frequently subject to work outside of a normal work hour/week schedule as weather or circumstances dictate, e.g. snow storms, rain/wind storms, tornados, fires, accidents, broken water mains, sewer failures, or other events requiring response to protect the public as a result of natural or man-made circumstances. Typically these events occur on an un-scheduled basis.
- Gain an understanding of how to setup and use a level and transit for setting grades. Employees shall learn to be able to determine and set grades.
- Operation of the following equipment at a minimum: Lawn Mowers (deck and flail); Tractor with mower/broom attachments; brush cutter; chain saw; plate and jumping jack compactors; brush chipper; cut-off saw; water pumps; 1 ton pickup truck with a plow; skid steer; trackless tractor with various attachments; small steel compactor; rubber tire roller; water truck; shoulder machine; tar kettle; crack router; asphalt patcher.
- Learn to operate the following equipment: street sweeper, leaf vacuum truck, front end loader with all attachments, vibratory compactor, and all single/tandem/tri and quad axle dump trucks.
- Strive to operate the Excavator, Bulldozer and Grader.
- Employees shall become proficient in winter maintenance: ability to plow with a single/tandem axle plow truck with front and wing mounted plows while operating a spreader and dump body for sand/salt application.
- Be able to use a front end loader to properly load a dump truck
- Ability to operate a tri/quad axle dump truck and use proper unloading and backing techniques.
- Ability to operate heavy equipment used in the construction and maintenance of village road and facilities.
- Assist with snow removal on sidewalks.
- Assist with polling station set up and breakdown during election.
- Assist with administrative duties that may include answering phones, drafting letters/documents and various other office work.
- Sewer and Water Utility
- Perform related work as required or assigned by the management staff.
- Perform any other task which the employee is asked to perform.
- High school diploma or equivalent with one to three years of experience in construction, operation, and maintenance of aquatic facilities, parks, streets, buildings and grounds, or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the job.
- Possession of a valid Wisconsin Driver's License with a good driving record and a valid Class A Commercial driver's license (CDL) issued by the State of Wisconsin with N endorsement or ability to obtain one within 90 days of employment is required.
- Possession of an Aquatic Facility Operator (AFO) or Certified Pool Operator (CPO) Certification or ability to obtain one within one year of employment is desired.
- Must be able to pass physical evaluation, pre-employment screening and drug test.
- Candidate must be a team player and able to undertake assigned tasks in a respectful, safe, efficient manner.
- Additional Information
- Ability to operate all types of tools used in the trimming, pruning and cutting of trees.
- Ability to operate all types of tools utilized in the construction/repair of buildings, facilities, maintenance of machinery and the maintenance of public works infrastructure.
- Ability to operate equipment used in the maintenance of turf.
- Ability to operate heavy equipment used in snow removal, hauling of brush/grass and other materials used in the construction and maintenance of village road and facilities.
- Ability to operate equipment used in the maintenance and construction of baseball diamonds and other sports related fields.
- Ability to utilize a computer.
- Proficient with operating a front end loader to properly load a dump truck
- proficient with unloading and backing while operating a loaded dump truck
- proficient with the operation of a single/tandem axle truck with front plow, wing plow and spreader; tri/quad axle truck; compactor; street sweeper and leaf vacuum truck